Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Today's Question:

"Who is this good looking guy and why does he want to be my friend?"

Not that I am opposed to having great looking Italian men find me fascinating, but honestly, why would this guy want to be friends with a 50+ year old married quilt shop owner? Months ago when I joined Facebook for the lone reason that I wanted to sign-up for Sandy Brawner's "I bet I can find 1,000,000 people that love quilting" page I was introduced to a whole new world of technology.

For those of you without Facebook pages (if you have lots of time to waste on the computer) I suggest that you give it a try. It is fascinating what pops up! Once you fill in the harmless (I hope) part of your profile, it immediately starts suggesting "friends". People that you went to school with, people that you have common interests with, people, people and more people. As you accumulate "friends" it suggests more with the added bonus of telling you how many friends you and this new person have in common.

From day one this good looking Italian guy was on my list. We have several friends in common. Who the heck is he? His photo certainly stood out among my quilter friends and family! The thing about Facebook is that you can't see someones profile unless both of you agree to be friends. I didn't want to ask this guy to be my friend just to figure out who he was - I've read about Internet stalking! (at this point both of my daughters will laugh out loud and exclaim "Yea right Mom - you wish!!!)

Early today I received a friend request from him!

"Karen, Alex....here today, Karen I see we have 24 mutual friends, I will be very happy to have you on my friends list too. Alex.".

It took about 2 seconds for me to click on that link and see who this guy is!

Reading his profile explained everything. Alex is part of the Italian sales team for Aurifil Thread. We love that thread so much that I purchased a huge floor rack of it at Quilt Market. So much for my summer of Italian intrigue, but to be honest, at this point in my life I would rather have a fling with a really great thread. Alex and I are going to be really good friends.

2 comments:

Debbie Welch said...

You HAVE got to get out more! I recognized his picture right off and since my spending quite a bit on his product is all your's and Kaye England's fault - I'm surprised you didn't know who he was!

Debbie

BrendaLou said...

Karen, I, too, recognized Alex right away and I haven't seen hime since FALL Market when we bought the whole kit & kaboodle. Hmmm, I can't seem to forget a pretty face!

BrendaLou