Sunday, August 15, 2010

Nine Patch with Setting Blocks

Yesterdays simple Block-To-Block setting option results in a 48" by 60" finished quilt. If you are looking to make something a bit bigger, the easiest way to enlarge the project is with solid setting squares! I am going to assume that you are making 6 inch finished nine patch blocks for these instructions. If you have chosen to make another size, you are going to have to do some calculating on your own.

The photo shows just 9 of my blocks on my design wall with black setting blocks. I don't know that I am going to use black in my finished quilt, but it photographed the best with my block assortment and made it easy for you to distinguish which areas I am referring to. You are also going to have to make a few more 9 patch blocks for this setting!


ALTERNATING SETTING SQUARES


66" by 90" - a nice size for a twin bed


Materials



83 Nine Patch Blocks



2 2/3 yards fabric for alternate blocks



2/3 yard binding



5 1/2 yards backing



Cutting Instructions
From the alternate block fabric cut:

14 strips 6 1/2" by the width of the fabric
Cross cut these strips into 82 squares measuring 6 1/2"



From the binding fabric cut:
8 strips 2 1/4" by the width of the fabric.



Instructions
1. Arrange the blocks in 11 rows of 15 blocks each. Begin and end the top and bottom row with a nine patch block (you should have a 9 patch on all 4 corners)



2. Stitch the rows together, pressing the seams in each row in the opposite direction of the previous row.



3. Stitch the rows together to form the completed quilt top.



Adding borders to your quilt if you have an extra deep mattress is always an option! Remember to calculate for the "shrink" that will take place when you have the quilting done. When making a bed quilt I like to have the top at least 4 inches larger than necessary before it is quilted so that when the quilting is completed it isn't too short for the bed!



If you would like a much larger quilt, make 85 nine patch blocks and cut 84 solid squares. Set them in 13 rows of 13 blocks each for a 78" by 78" quilt. With the addition of 10" borders on all sides your quilt will measure 98" by 98" which is suitable for a nice size queen. - I mean queen size bed, I'm sure you deserve to be treated like a queen and your size is very nice too - but I meant the quilt! Before I get into too much trouble, you are going to need 3 yards of fabric for the border.



Tomorrow - on point options!

2 comments:

JoAnne in southern California said...

I must be one of those over achievers, I've made almost 400 blocks. I will finally be making that Irish Chain quilt I've always wanted. Thank you for this, Karen!

Marsha said...

I think this is the setting I am going to pick. Will fit grandson's bed and looks easier than corner squares and sashing. Off we go to the quilt store!