Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hello?



If you call me and I don't answer, I apologize.


If you text me, I am going to need you to call me so that you can tell me what your text says.


I will call/text you back.... eventually.




Earlier this week my husband needed a new cell phone. After about an hour in the phone store, we decided that he is not really ready for top notch technology. To make a long story short, he now has my old phone and I have a brand new, newfangled phone with a touch screen. We decided that with all of my traveling, it would be nice to have Internet access on my phone. Now I have to learn to use it. My husband told me it would be simple, I think he used the phrase "anyone can do it". This is the same man that was adamant with the clerk at the phone store that whatever phone he chose, she would have to transfer his ENTIRE contact list to the new phone. There was no way he would find time in his busy schedule to type ALL of those numbers into a new phone. She agreed to perform the service at no charge. I'm sure that she was wildly amused when she discovered that my husbands extensive list of contacts, that he said would take "forever" to transfer, contained exactly EIGHT numbers. I am not married to a phone geek.




My new phone is sleek and wonderful, and I have no idea how to use it. It has been a very busy week getting ready for Fall Festival at the Chautauqua Institute. It has not been a good week to learn new technology. I thought I would start with the instruction book. Have you seen the instructions for the new phones? The booklet that explains how to make a call, send and receive text messages, access the Internet, play games, track your entire life with an "App", take photos and about a zillion other functions is smaller than the phone!




My first clue that this would not be as easy as I thought was when I discovered that the print in the teeny tiny booklet was too small to read - and I was wearing my glasses! I had my son give me a few tips, a quick lesson on the 19 things I have to touch to get to the screen that allows me to dial. Answering is still a bit tricky and you can forget finding text messages. I set the tone that lets me know when one arrives, so at least I know I'm missing something. I just have absolutely no idea how to retrieve them.


At the store the clerk was more interested in showing me how to download Apps. She flipped a few things, handed me the phone and said "Go ahead, type in anything you are interested in" I typed in "quilt". She looked at me and said "really?" Meanwhile up popped 4 new "Apps". One was marked "Binding Calculator" and it was free, so I touched it. I now have an App on my phone that allows me to calculate quilt binding. I don't really need that app, I can calculate binding in my sleep, but it was free, and it is the only thing on my phone that I know how to use, so I am keeping it.

7 comments:

Pat said...

LOL!! I got a Droid a year ago, and that binding app was one of the 1st ones I got. STill haven't used it, but what the heck, it was free. It took me weeks to learn to use my new phone. A year later, I'm sure your average 6th grader could run circles around me, but who cares. My very favoritest app, and one that has saved my cookies numerous times, is the Google GPS. I don't have a "real" GPS, so this is great. I have every fabric shop within 80 miles programmed into it.

Good luck with your new phone! Try the free Pandora app.

Diane said...

Funny! A couple months ago my pink razor phone died-I'm not "phone happy" either-my husband insisted I have one "for emergencies". Not one emergency in the 5-6 years I carried the dang thing. I think it died from loneliness. And or I lead too boring of a life!
The new one is a slide phone-because I liked the pretty blue color it came in.
Don't worry I won't be calling you...It'd be easier to just drive over to the shop!

Unknown said...

Karen, when you figure out your phone, you can explain mine. I've only had the dang thing for three years. I can answer the phone and send a picture and maybe text but everything else? Forget it. So if you could figure out yours before Quilt Market, I'd appreciate it. While we are having a "vacation" in Houston, we'll have PLENTY of time to go over phones . . .

Mama Pea said...

I am a die hard iPhone user. I love gadgets. I learn just by playing and clicking around to see what happens. Come on over. We can play together and we'll figure it all out together!

di said...

Oh, I have been where you are and now have a "relationship" with my iPhone! Just remember when you got your first computer..... now, look at what you can do with it! Play with it and you'll get the hang of it in no time!

Anonymous said...

My daughter's husband decided to "update" her Iphone a WEEK before their wedding and deleted ALL of her contacts. Yikes. Not a happy bride who couldt get in touch with vendors or guests! when they got home from their honeymoon they went to the apple store and the clerk who was "updating" Pauls phone deleted ALL of their honeymoon photos. Luckily they had also taken a camera. the clerk said "oh yeah, I guess I shoulda backed em up for ya"...aint technology grand!
Bernie

Anonymous said...

I work in an IT department, surrounded by "geek" types who run around with all the latest techno gadgets and they look at horror when I flip out my OLD "razor" phone which I love. ALL it does is send and receive phone calls ... nothing else. I love, love, love that phone and will be clutching it in my hand when they toss in the dirt! LOL