Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Is It Wednesday Again?

Last week we were vending at the Shipshewana Quilt Festival so I wasn't home to take photos of my design wall.  Not that it mattered, it was empty!  This week, I have another excuse. 
We have short house guests that are demanding all of our attention.  This is Grant and Madeline our grandkids, otherwise known as "the Twins".  They are staying with us for 10 days to give their Mom and Dad the chance to do a few things around the house without interuption.  Trust me, these two specialize in interuptions, but they are still the most adorable things on the planet even if I won't get any sewing done while they are here.  I think you will forgive me for not sharring my design wall when you see the photos of the Shipshewana show that I have for you.

The Shipshewana show was spectacular!  Yes, all quilt shows are wonderful, but the workmanship on display in this particular show, this particular year was breathtaking! 

In no particular order:

I posted the detail shot of this hand applique, hand quilted piece on The Quilt Company Facebook page while we were there.  It generated several comments and requests to see the whole quilt, so I'm showing you both.  By the way - this quilt took a SECOND place.  Those two ladies were doing their best not to get caught sneaking a peek at the back of the binding.


This quilt wasn't a top ribbon winner either, but it should have been as far as I was concerned!  The color and workmanship in the border is absolutely beautiful.  I dream of something like this being on my design wall!  
My appoligies for the poorly cropped photo, but this border and setting triangle shot was really what I wanted to share.
The quilter gave credit to an applique book for the border inspiration, but I didn't jot it down.  The only way I would be able to accomplish that border is by machine!

This was the blue ribbon winner. Baltimore Album done to perfection. 


Not all the quilts were traditional.  These were a few of my favorites:
The woman that made this one did a little shopping in our booth.  This New York Beauty was her FIRST quilt!

This is called Bali High and the photo does not do it justice.  It is made in silk and batiks.  The green background actually shades from light to dark.  Here is a detail photo of the quilting - all done in metalic threads!

Now do you really care what is on my design wall this week?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are forgiven for not sewing anything right now. Your grandkids are adorable. Enjoy this time with them. Thanks for posting the photos from the quilt show. They are amazing!

Lori

45th Parallel Quilter said...

LOVE the kid pictures ... they are SO precious ... if we'd known how much fun grandkids are we'd have had them first! The quilts are absolutely amazing ... stunning beyond words!