Monday, February 22, 2010

What Do You See?

I want all of you to look at this quick snapshot of a project that I have been working on and tell me what you see. Obviously it is a work in progress, some of the blocks have been stitched, some still need to be trimmed, but you get the idea. It will be 9 blocks that measure 8 inches each. Once the blocks are stitched together there will be very little space between the flowers. I have a simple border planned, but it might not go any further than it is right now.

Opinions please?


This is my design for a floral fabric group from Timeless Treasures that features a flower design for each month of the year. They asked me to come up with a plan, and I thought several different ideas would be appropriate. This project is just one of them. After all, we don't all celebrate our birthdays in the same way. I think consumers would like an assortment of projects to choose from. The other reason I thought a variety of projects would be appropriate is that a the prints that you don't see here have a white background, they look silly on the black base fabric.



I think that the large flower template is the perfect place to show off the individual prints. I like the way that the black background blends in and the flowers "pop". I also think this would make a great table topper, perhaps even on your patio table... maybe in a few months, because this is what my patio table looks like now!



I want all of you reading this to give me your honest opinion of this work in progress, post a comment. What do you think of this design? The reason I am asking is that I sent the working photo (above) to Timeless and they told me to put the project on the back burner because to them, it looks like snakes. - snakes! Question marks, I can see..... snakes?
Have I been snowed in for too long or does someone in New York need therapy?
You decide.
I can take it.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I see flowers. Snakes???? Not.

Bev said...

I think it's very pretty, even though i do not like black for myself. I also like the leaves layout on the center square better than the other layout. I do not see snakes.

Kelly Ann said...

I can see the snakes but only because you put that word in my head. The center thingie needs to come to a point instead of round snake head thingie..

Diane said...

I did think "snakes"...just for a second

Sheila said...

I didn't think snakes. I did see the flower design first, and the swirling black caught my eye as I went to read the text. As with all good quilts, some distance or a good squint makes it more beautiful.

PG Wagner said...

I didn't see snakes but I did see tadpoles! I like the black line in the flower though (just not too fond of the "tadpole head")...so maybe if it completed the "circle" and then the center of the flower was one of the other prints?

Janice Park said...

I don't see 'snakes' at all ! I think it would look better if the black was only around the center of each flower or even between each petal toward the center without going all the way around the center. JP

Barb Johnson said...

I agree with Kelly Ann. I didn't see the "snakes" until I read the text. I noticed the swirls, but noticed the floral fabrics more. When I look at the picture close up, I notice that the center of the swirl is wider than the rest, so maybe that is why they think it looks like snakes. Maybe if you narrowed the end to be the same width as the rest of the swirl, it would take away the snake head illusion.

Debbie K. said...

I see snakes (or even sperm!). Your quilt patterns and designs are usually more sophisticated than this pattern. I'd rather see a different flower design for each block and then possibly one center block that incorporates all the different fabrics. Just my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful.
I do see the snake in the center one -- all curled up sunning on a rock.
I do not like snakes -- but I still like the squares. They are different and the colors of the flowers in the prints pop.

Marsha said...

I love it. The colors pop on the black. Snakes? what snakes??? It's fun and happy.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I do kinda get the snake thing...Every time I mow the yard in the summer, I usually see one or two black racers which look surprisingly similar to those on the quilt. It's probably the shape of the head. I'd either make the center round, like a black-eyed Susan and have it BE the center,(or to a point) and then vary the width of the black spiral part from narrow, in the center and wider at the edge..., and be a tighter spiral, so it wont look like a "comma". Is that clear as mud??
Bernie

JL said...

I liked the swirl on the black. It reminded me of buds unfurling, even though these flowers are in full bloom. If I were going to make it for myself, I'd put in 4 of the big flowers and put smaller groups and some buds in the other squares. I think it calls for some type of curved border finish.

Janice Park said...

I have to add another comment, I like the flowers the way they are but I think the 'snake' illusion would go away if the spacing of the black were the same and you would spiral it in some more like a spring and come to a point rather than the rounded 'head' thingy. Janice

Anonymous said...

It looks like snakes sitting on the pretty flowers.

Anonymous said...

Yeah ... I see the snakes, probably because you have "heads" on them. Anyway to change that? I also think this isn't your usual sophisticated, I-want-to-copy-you type of pattern ... I wouldn't make it (personally). Like the floral fabrics though ....