Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Everything ... and More

Forgive me if this post is a little scattered. I think I have SCD. Otherwise know as Seasonally Confused Disorder. January and February which are usually the most dreary months of the year here in western Pennsylvania, have behaved more like March and April. No wicked snowstorms and no frigid temperatures. I like it.

I usually spend those dark dreary wintry days working on summer projects. Then in the spring when the weather turns nice, I start on the items we will need for fall. With these spring like temperatures I feel like I am way behind. Follow that up with a week long parade of Sales Reps offering me everything imaginable in Christmas prints, which will arrive in May/June and you will understand my confusion. I have to stop everything and get organized!

Let's start with the seasonally appropriate spring issue of Quilts and More magazine that is now on the newsstands and on the front counter of our store. Quilts and More is one of my favorite publications. I love their small projects, simple instructions and easy to make items that look great after your efforts. I am especially thrilled with this issue because it features my "Put A Spin On It" baby quilt on page 23. The easy to read illustrated instructions include my Quick Trim Ruler from Creative Grids and the project can be made from a stack of 10 inch squares and background fabric. If you are a purest and must have the exact same fabrics, the kits featuring the identical Tonga Batiks are here in the store and available on the website: http://www.thequiltcompany.com/ FYI the baby laying on the quilt in the magazine photo isn't one of our twins. I actually made 2 quilts. The one in the magazine will go to Grant. Madeline's has circles and may be featured in a future issue.


“Designed by Karen Montomgery]. Used with permission from Quilts and More® magazine. ©2012 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved. For more quilt patterns, visit www.allpeoplequilt.com.”



Learning to use my new iPhone is also adding to my brain stress. Even though I can't get Siri to answer my requests I have to admit that this one is a piece of cake compared to the Droid that I eventually gave up on. I was perfectly happy with my "hello" only phone, but I needed a few features that the iPhone offered. Believe it or not you can plug a little gizmo called a Square into the iPhone and it will swipe credit cards. You sign the screen with your finger. Amazing. With a 5000 square foot full service quilt shop and BERNINA dealership complete with computerized cash register, are wondering why I need to swipe credit cards on my phone?



We will have a booth at the Pittsburgh Home Show, another annual rite of spring here in the 'burgh in the beginning of March. We are taking BERNINA sewing machines and Koala Cabinets. If you are in the area, stop by the Home Show to see us. We have some amazing deals on BERNINA machines and Koala products. To process sales I had to either upgrade to a fancy phone or pay through the nose to have the convention center run a phone line into my 10' by 20' temporary home for 10 days. I opted for the phone - because it allows me a direct link to Facebook.


Are you following this? I have been playing with The Quilt Company Facebook page for awhile and I finally have it organized. I would love to have you "like" us and then become one of our followers on Facebook. That will allow me to keep you up to date on what is happening in the shop. I will remind you about sales, special events, and cool new products. Once we have over 150 followers I will also be giving things away - if you leave a comment. Right now I have posted photos of monogrammed pillows that were made on the 830LE. Log on and leave a comment on either photo. To get started once I have 25 comments I will randomly select one to recieve a stitched out monogram in the letter of their choice.



Last but not least, I hope all of the local quilters are planning to attend our all day retreat at the Hampton Community Center on March 17th - National Quilting Day. We have a project for those of you with machine embroidery and one for those of you without. There will be demonstrations throughout the day. Your project supplies and lunch are included. Stop in the shop to see the sample. Or click on over to Facebook and scroll down to see the photo! See, I told you that you would want to friend us on Facebook!

No comments: