Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Home Again

Would those of you that believe in global warming please explain to me why anywhere I travel in the winter months instantly experiences unseasonably cold temperatures?

Our trip to Arizona was a wonderful. It was was a perfect visit with my Aunt, Uncle, Cousins and their spouses and we enjoyed every minute of it - but it was COLD. Unseasonably warm here in Pittsburgh and unseasonably cold in Arizona, the story of my life. You don't really need the "dry heat" to sit and talk, and talk and talk.... (my husband thinks that if they make "talking" an Olympic event, Aunt Jean and I are a shoe-in for the endurance event), but temps above 50 degrees would have been nice!

We did manage to leave the kitchen table long enough to go shopping one whole day. Naturally that trip had to include at least ONE quilt shop. First, you have to understand that I love my Aunt Jean more than anything. As a quilter herself, she is incredibly proud of me and has always been one of my biggest supporters. Aunt Jean tells everyone that will listen that her niece owns a quilt shop (including everyone at International Quilt Market, where there are almost nothing BUT quilt shop owners!).

Aunt Jean was very excited when we pulled up in front of A Quilters Oasis and asked me if I thought they might have any of my "things" inside. Maybe? I sort of hoped that they would have something of mine, so as to not disappoint Aunt Jean.

Jean was not disappointed!

Just inside the front door was this beautiful sample of the Structure project with The Quilt Company pattern pinned right to it! I pointed it out and immediately Aunt Jean started to gush.

Nobody gushes quite as well as my Aunt Jean.

I continued walking with Lindsay toward the back of the store and turned around just as owner Kathy Reynolds looked up from the register and recognized me from my talks at Quilt Market. With an entire line of customers in front of her she said "You're Karen Montgomery - oh shoot!" I think poor Kathy thought I was about to pull a surprise inspection! I don't care who you are, having another shop owner in your store makes you nervous! Sorry Kathy - honest, I was just another customer!

Kathy had absolutely nothing to worry about. She has a wonderful assortment of fabrics that are beautifully displayed and great assortment of books, threads and patterns... and enough "Karen Montgomery" around the store to make my Aunt Jean happy! The store was exceptionally neat and clean, especially since they were having a sale! Something that can't always be said about The Quilt Company!

Lindsay kept herself busy doing her own version of sight seeing, including snapping this photo of the "Lindsay" fabric line that was named after her.

If you are ever in Mesa Arizona I recommend that you stop by A Quilters Oasis and do a little shopping. You are going to love the place! ....... tell Kathy that I sent you!

No comments: