Sunday, June 20, 2010

Easy Sewing + Fabric Stash = Great Project

Are you making 9 Patch blocks?

If you aren't familiar with the project you can scroll down through my blog posts and read about where the idea originated from and how the whole thing works. It is a simple concept and everyone is welcome to join the fun. There is nothing to buy and no "rules" to follow, all you need to do is make one 9 patch block each day from now (by "now" I mean today, the day you are reading this) until August 20th. Those of us that started on June 1st will have about 80 completed blocks by the end of the summer. If you started a bit later, you can either get caught up by making more blocks per day or make a smaller quilt! The blocks can be any size and I suggest that they be made from your fabric stash. If you want to join the Facebook group, log on to Facebook and search 9 Patch Project, we would love to have you!


I have chosen to make 6 inch blocks that start with 2 1/2 inch squares. Some of the almost 700 Facebook participants are starting to worry about how they are going to put these blocks together. Personally, I think it is a bit soon to start fretting over setting ideas, I'm still enjoying the gorgeous colors of the batiks that I am using. I do realize that some people like to plan. Others are wondering how many blocks they need to make to make the project queen size and how much border fabric they need....
My advice - relax! Enjoy the process! On the other hand, maybe dreaming about the finished project is the part of the process you enjoy....


Later in the summer I will be providing sashing and border suggestions for the blocks, but I thought it might be fun to take a look at some of the other setting options in finished quilts.
Karen Snyder has this beautiful 9 patch quilt featured on her blog. You can read her post about "leaders and enders" at:
This quilt is obviously set on point and has 13 rows of 13 nine patches. If you do the math, this quilt requires 169 nine patch blocks - that is a little more than double the number that we will have by making one per day! For those of you that are looking for a large quilt (Assuming that those are 6" finished blocks, this quilt would measure 110" square) you will need to kick things into high gear and start making at least TWO blocks each day. (If you aren't familiar with bed sizes, I consider 110" as a generous queen or a skimpy king.) This would be a great project for the over achievers in the group!
One of the things that makes 9 Patches so irresistable is that they can look so totally different! Believe it or not this quilt, my Daybreak pattern, is also a 9 patch project! The blocks are sewn side-by-side without sashing to create the overall pattern. I used solid batiks for the Daybreak quilt, but I have customers that have translated the color chart in the pattern into prints and even packed florals for a watercolor look - beautiful! The pattern is available on our website at http://www.thequiltcompany.com/ and you may also have seen it featured in the Hancocks of Paducah catalog.
Now I'm off to finish my husbands Father's Day gift... it is not a quilt, just a bit of custom framing!

6 comments:

Janice Park said...

I started the 9 patch project about June 10th or so and I just love the relaxed feeling I get from the 'no deadline', 'no stress' way of making these blocks. I started making 3.5" squares and then decided to make the 2.5" squares, so now I am making both sizes. Both the 9" and 6" blocks are scrappy. The 6" is scrappy blue and white and the 9" is scrappy soft floral. I have 82 of the 9" and 35 of the 6" so far.

Debbie J said...

I started June 7th and have found that making 2 blocks is as easy as making 1, using leaders and enders, so I am making 2 or 3 some days. That way if I miss a day or two, its ok. I am enjoying the challenge. Thanks for hosting it! Debbie J.

Judy Bott said...

This is definitely a fun project. I have 40 of the 6" blocks completed plus 36 of the 3" blocks sets done -- all from the stash. The larger blocks only have one common thing -- blue center block with everything else being truly scrappy. The smaller blocks are just the traditional two colors per block. Was starting to ponder setting possibilities but will just kick back and wait until later. Thanks so much for a project that will produce good results but not stress us out.

Anonymous said...

On track with Block 23 finished tonight. I am going to California in late July for vacation, so plan to precut and hand piece while I am traveling. Lovin it!

Jane

Tracey said...

WOW!!!!!!!! What a fabulous and simple challenge! I yearn to be able to complete a completely random and scrappy quilt, however, being a bit OCD,
my "scrap" quilts have to have at least a color theme. I've started (albeit late) making 9 patch and 36 patch blocks. I'm in heaven!! Actually making far more blocks than the traditional leaders and enders would have :) Need to find some control over that, or I'll never finish my current project LOL. Hope every one else is having as much fun as I am *grins*. I've already started planning my next scrap project. Maybe all brights in the next one. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE CHALLENGE!!

Anonymous said...

Does having over 100 9 patches from an 9 patch exchage several years ago that you haven't figured out what to do with count. It would be using up an UFO?