|These scraps should brighten up our grey winter days!|
Have you collected your favorite scraps and done a little cutting?
If you need the cutting instructions, scroll back a few posts or just work along with the steps each week.
Read all instructions before beginning!
1. Collect the 448 assorted 1 1/2 inch squares and the 56 accent squares that measure 1 1/2 inches.
2. Randomly stitch the squares together to form a Nine Patch block positioning the accent square in the center. These blocks will measure 3 1/2 inches including seam allowance when completed.
Ok, I'll fess up. I cut my scraps into 1 1/2 inch strips of a similar length. I stitched those strips together in sets of three before cross cutting them into the 1 1/2 inch segments needed for the block. For the strips with the accent fabric in the center, I cut the accent strip to fit my scraps. My quilt will have 5 or 6 identical units
Make 56 blocks
• If you have selected a light color accent, press the seams away from the accent block.
• If you have selected a dark accent color, feel free to press the seams in any direction you like - but be consistent! You or your machine quilter will be grateful later.
• Because this is a scrappy quilt, there is no "planned" color arrangement for the 8 squares that surround the center accent block. For those of you that have a dominant anal retentive gene (you know who you are) feel free to organize your blocks with darks in the corner or a specific color you happen to own more than enough of in a consistent position. If you are using a rainbow of colors you might want to arrange the squares in red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple order around the center square just for fun - but you don't have to!
This is scrappy!