Friday, February 1, 2013

WINTER MYSTERY CLUE 1


These scraps should brighten up our grey winter days!
 Are you ready?

Have you collected your favorite scraps and done a little cutting? 
If you need the cutting instructions, scroll back a few posts or just work along with the steps each week.

Read all instructions before beginning!

WINTER MYSTERY

CLUE 1


1. Collect the 448 assorted 1 1/2 inch squares and the 56 accent squares that measure 1 1/2 inches.


2. Randomly stitch the squares together to form a Nine Patch block positioning the accent square in the center. These blocks will measure 3 1/2 inches including seam allowance when completed.


Ok, I'll fess up. I cut my scraps into 1 1/2 inch strips of a similar length. I stitched those strips together in sets of three before cross cutting them into the 1 1/2 inch segments needed for the block. For the strips with the accent fabric in the center, I cut the accent strip to fit my scraps. My quilt will have 5 or 6 identical units


Make 56 blocks

Tips:
• If you have selected a light color accent, press the seams away from the accent block.
• If you have selected a dark accent color, feel free to press the seams in any direction you like - but be consistent! You or your machine quilter will be grateful later.
• Because this is a scrappy quilt, there is no "planned" color arrangement for the 8 squares that surround the center accent block. For those of you that have a dominant anal retentive gene (you know who you are) feel free to organize your blocks with darks in the corner or a specific color you happen to own more than enough of in a consistent position. If you are using a rainbow of colors you might want to arrange the squares in red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple order around the center square just for fun - but you don't have to!
This is scrappy!

4 comments:

bmayer said...

I admit it....I laughed out loud at your comment about the people who have to organize fabrics according to color.....coming from my BFF who has to eat her m&m's in color "order"!!!

Barb Johnson said...

Hey, I recognize some of those scraps from last year's First Saturday! And "anal retentive" - Who, me? ^.^ Bernie - I don't eat my M&Ms in color order, but I do even up the colors before I eat them. I group them so that there is one of each color in each group, and eat the extras first.

Koller said...

My quilt will be scrappy

Unknown said...

I can't post a picture of my 9 patches!