Friday, February 22, 2013

Winter Mystery Step 4

I'm sure by now you have figured it out! 

Janet Aradine was able to guess the next step correctly.  She sent several photos of her progress along the way.

Follow the steps below and the mystery will be solved.  EASY!  Now I only wish that converting photos from my email to my blogger account so that I can share them with you was as simple.  It seems that if you send them as an attachment I can grab them and share.  If you imbed them in the message it seems impossible to transfer them to Blogger.  I'm enjoying seeing Tracey, Jill, Ann, Lisa, Cathy, Donna and Carly's photos.  I will see if I can get some technical help to share them with you.




Terry Faust sent me not only this very organized photo of step 3, she also included a photo of another quilt that is absolutely beautiful!  Great job Terry!

Time for everyone to catch up!

STEP 4 OF 4

1. Collect the remaining 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch accent strips and the scrap fabric rectangles.

2. Working with each individual block create a unit of two rectangles and one accent strip between them, matching the rectangle fabrics to the squares that are already assembled in the block. You will need to create each unit according to the fabrics in the individual blocks. No chain piecing here! Press the seams toward the scrap fabrics.

3. Stitch the units to the sides of the blocks matching the fabric scraps. Press the seams toward the outside edge of the block. These blocks will measure 9 1/2 inches including seam allowance.

4. Arrange the blocks in 8 rows of 7 block each. Alternate the direction of every other block so that the only the sashing seams align. If you pressed correctly these seams will nest.

5. Stitch the blocks together in rows. Pressing the seams in opposite directions in each row. Stitch the rows together to form the completed top.

6. Take a photo and send it - as an attachment to me at karen@thequiltcompany.com!

7. Layer the quilt top with the batting and backing and quilt as desired. Trim the batting and backing even with the top.

8. Cut 7 strips 2 1/4 inches by the width of the fabric. Stitch the strips together end-to-end on a 45 degree angle. Fold and press. Pin the binding to the edge of the quilt with the raw edges even, mitering the corners. Stitch in place by machine. Fold the binding over the edge to the back of the quilt and stitch in place by hand.

 

Enjoy!

Now that the mystery is over, it is time for me to get packing.  I'm on the "road" again, teaching on a quilting cruise for Stitchin Heaven for the first 10 days in March.  I know, I know, tough job, but someone has to do it - why not me?

I expect all of those Winter Mystery projects to be finished when I get home!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mystery quilt. Have a great time on the cruise and hopefully the Montgomery travel curse won't rear its ugly head! Thanks too for School House this past Sunday. It was wonderful as always.

Lori

bmayer said...

I hope its not a Carnival cruise.....

Unknown said...

Its Wonderful, I Appreciate what u have asked.

MontgomeryConvention