Monday, April 13, 2009

Frustrations

Ok, I will admit that it has been awhile since my last post.

I have an excuse. I’ve been busy keeping my mouth shut. My father-in-law passed away and we had a longer than average family funeral. As with many families, my husband has a “blended” family. His parents divorced years ago and both remarried. In the case of my husband’s father, he and the “new” wife (they were married for almost 30 years) had a total of 7 sons. Over the years those seven boys have accumulated an assortment of wives and children which makes for a very large family. Funerals tend to either bring out the best or the worst in people. Thankfully this one brought out the best in everyone. There was however a wide variety of ways that individuals felt they should pay their respects or say good-bye. It took a little over a week to accomodate those wishes, which in my book is about a week too long. Therefore, in an effort to be nice, I kept my mouth shut and served a lot of food. People that know me also know that if there is one thing that is difficult for me to do, it is to keep my mouth shut.

There is also a little tempest in a teapot brewing in the quilting world. It involves a mean spirited person that in my opinion is doing more harm than good in our industry. Then again, that is just my opinion. I don’t have the time or the desire to enter into a battle with someone that is destine to self-destruct, so once again, I am keeping my mouth shut.

The stress level has been a bit high around here. We are quickly approaching “crunch time” and there are a few things that haven’t exactly fallen into place. No, that is not steam that you see coming out of my ears….. I prefer to think of it as my creative engine. Grinding noise? What grinding noise? Oh, that is nothing to worry about, it is just me strengthening my jaw muscles. No, I don’t want to talk about the yardage mistake in the magazine. Yes, I do realize that I have to have 4 large quilts finished in less than a month and NO my new fabric line is NOT here yet and YES I DO KNOW THAT QUILT MARKET IS ONLY 28 DAYS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

This is Karen, keeping her mouth shut.
P.S. I do want to thank all of the people that have helped me finish everything possible up to this point. I am eternally grateful for your heroic efforts. I also want to appologize in advance to those same people for the abuse I am about to heap on to you to get everything completed in the next few weeks.... rest up and keep your fingers crossed that fabric arrives this week!

2 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Hi Karen--I don't really "Know you", yet I do from your blogsite, somewhat--but I do know "you" will make it!!! Just take it all one step at a time and do what you can each day on each project and let the rest go til it's time to be worked on!! AND I am praying that Fabric you need comes in in plenty of time--just keep trusting and it will happen, somehow!!!!
Be Good to yourself during this too--take those coffee (or tea) breaks--they are important in the end!! Just, Di in NY

Anonymous said...

Karen, The tempest in the teapot has peaked my curiosity. Is there something we as consumers and quilters can do to negate the harm you speak of ? Let us know please. I have been trying to think what could harm the quilting world other than tearing down the good reputations of those of you(I include you) who have contributed to the industry so much. On the other hand, there are too many GOOD people in the industry to let one person do harm to it. Janice