Sunday, June 28, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes

Absolutely nothing to do with quilting, you can file this one under “Things that make me say hmmm…”.

I did some grocery shopping the other day and while I was putting things away in my pantry I realize that it was time to do a little cleaning out. I have a huge, wonderful, walk-in pantry. It holds everything you need and then some. While that sounds wonderful, it also means that it is extremely easy to collect “junk” or lose things in there because there is room for, well… everything.

After consolidating at least 4 boxes of penne pasta with 20 noodles each, tossing out the crackers that were way past their freshness date and wondering why I still have a jar of mint jelly that is so old it is a family joke, I stumbled upon this container of L.L. Bean Buttermilk Pancake mix.
It took some brain searching to remember how I had aquired this because I was quite sure that I had never invested in L.L.Bean as a grocery provider. Then I remembered that it had been part of a gift set. A gift set that I had received as a thank you several YEARS ago. (To be completely honest, the can is marked “best used by Nov 25 06”). I was wondering why I would let what is probably the most expensive pancake mix in the world go to waste. My family eats pancakes. My family loves pancakes. Then I noticed the instructions on the container.

To use this Buttermilk Pancake Mix you must add: 1 egg, 2 TBS of vegetable oil and 1cup of BUTTERMILK. I never have buttermilk. I know there is something like vinegar that you can add to whole milk to create quazi-buttermilk, but we never have whole milk either and trying to make 2% into fake buttermilk doesn’t sound appetizing.

The bigger question is what makes that a container of mix for BUTTERMILK pancakes anyway? Especially if I have to ADD the BUTTERMILK? Why not call them Blueberry Buttermilk pancakes and add blueberries to the list of things you have to add? For that matter, why not make them something really exotic like Lobster, Blueberry, Buttermilk Pancakes? Just add Lobster, Blueberries and Buttermilk…. Never mind, that is disgusting…. But I would bet they would charge more for the lobster version!

In defense of L.L.Bean, it does say “or ¾ cup of whole milk” next to the 1 cup of buttermilk. Now the question is if you add whole milk are they still buttermilk pancakes?
It doesn’t really matter, I’m not using anything with a 2006 expiration date!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lobster girl here - you know I normally encourage anyone & everyone to eat lobsters so as to support the New England lobster industry but lobster pancakes? May I just say "YUCK"!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I just cleaned out my pantry and found stuff dated 06 as well..Not good..not good. I threw out all the spices for sure.

Lobster pancakes...hmm..no thanks haha.

Pat

bmayer said...

I havent cleaned the pantry in a while, but my personal record for open jars of pickles in the refrigerator is 7. Some of them were just pickle juice with NO pickles. I was not given the gift of housekeeping despite having and actual DEGREE in Home Economics...I was much better at the sewing part anyway.