Monday, March 23, 2009

I follow the booklet guidelines pretty closely to put in the zipper and attach the sides. You don’t really have to “insert” a zipper, you simply lay the zipper along the raw edge and stitch. The zipper is too long for the bag, so the bulky zipper pull and the metal end are at least an inch from where you are sewing. After you stitch the first seam, fold the zipper back, press and top stitch the seam allowance to hold it in place. I like to use a large multi-stitch zigzag to do that. No special reason, I just think it looks nice.

I quilt the end panels as directed and then I use flannel between 2 layers of fabric for the outside pocket. Another layer of batting is too bulky and just a layer of fabric doesn’t have enough body. I think the flannel is just right.

Oddly enough, this is where I realized I did something wrong. Remember when I told you I rounded the corners because I like it better that way? Rounding the corners reduces the circumference of the end piece. The pattern requires a 25 inch length for the body. I increased my length to 26 inches instead of reducing it to 24 inches! Oops. I’m going to have “puffy” corners. That’s ok; I can live with puffy corners. As you can see, I had quite a bit of easing to do!

I added my favorite zipper pull and I’m done! Project #1 for this week is complete. For the next few days I think I will work on the Japanese Jigsaw quilt.




3 comments:

Karlene said...

Love the bag...this is on my list to do...

Marsha said...

I love your bag too. Blue is my favorite color. My Mom and I were in the shop last week and you helped us pick the tulip purse pattern. I didn't realize you were the owner. It was nice to meet you. Love your retreat idea. Happy sewing!

Karen said...

I'm so glad that you are enjoying the projects. I should have mentioned that the CTO book also includes a much larger version of the same bag. It is a weekender duffle. My daughters LOVE that bag for traveling. Once you have made the purse, you are going to want the duffle!
Karen